2.28.2013

The Hessians




It's about high time I write about this. In the time of the Revolutionary War, the German (Hessian) Jagers were hired through their rulers (princes) to the British Empire. They were called Hessians because about 12,000 out of 30,000 of the men were from Hesse-Kassel. The Jagers were swift on their feet, smart and cunning. Their name literally meant "hunter", or in military terms, "rifleman". These were dignified men, who were prime marksmen and woodsmen, all reliable and independent. Their prim uniforms are almost regal in a sense. Almost princely. The Germans were honest, and often gained the respect from their opponents, and also quoted from Lowell's "The Hessians", many of them stayed in America in the end. 

The blog name is revolved around the historical reenacting group, my friends and family, who have kept me great company and have watched me grown for the pass several years. I consider the unit commander to be like a father to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment